The Salamander Stride
What is the Salamander Stride?
It’s a Fun Run for the whole school and a fundraiser for the PTA. The Stride is a non-competitive event that encourages physical activity and aligns with the school’s purpose of educating and celebrating the kids. It is also a great community event for students, teachers, and administrators—and, of course, parents, guardians, and family members who are able to support our students.
How will the Salamander Stride raise money for the PTA?
Students will seek pledges from family, friends, and neighbors to achieve their fitness goal—be it a mile or beyond. Our successful Stride fundraising history has enabled us to eliminate the need for other PTA fundraisers, like selling wrapping paper and cookie dough.
How can I make a pledge?
It’s easy to set up a pledge page or make a donation through the PTA website, just look for a link under FORMS to set up your child's page (and remember to update their grade/join the PTA while you are there). You can also record cash/check donations made out to SCES PTA.
Will all kids participate?
Yes. This is a school-wide event and every student who is able to stride, roll, walk, or run in the Salamander Stride is encouraged to participate. We know there may be some children whose families and friends are not able to pledge money for the Salamander Stride, and that’s OK — everyone participates in the way they are able.
The 2021 Salamander Stride will take place Friday, October 22 at the SSIMS track!
Grade Level Run Times:
Fifth Grade: 9:40-10:20
First Grade: 12:15-12:55
Fourth Grade: 1:50- 2:30
Third Grade: 2:45- 3:25
How will it work this year?
One grade level will be out on the track at a time. As the students all have lunch and recess together, they will be kept cohorted. With only one grade at a time, there will be lots of space to spread out while drinking water and running or walking.
- Each grade will walk down to the track from the playground
- Classes will place water bottles at designated table
- Classes will run, walk or jog for 15-20 minutes
- Classes can pick up their water bottles for a water break
- Classes take a quick class picture
- Classes return to the building
We will have extra water bottles on hand in case anyone runs out but please do your part to “green” the ‘Stride by sending your student with a water bottle from home. Snacks will not be provided this year.
How can parents/guardians and family members help with the Salamander Stride?
Families can help by pledging their support and ask their relatives, neighbors and friends to do the same. Due to COVID precautions, parents/guardians may watch/cheer from the stands unless they are signed up to volunteer.
ONLY VOLUNTEERS WILL BE ALLOWED ON THE TRACK.
- Each class may have two volunteers to meet them at a designated area of the playground to walk them down to the track.
- Volunteers will help make sure students place their water bottles on the correct table at their designated starting area.
- Classes will start slightly staggered around the track.
- Volunteers will help organize the class once the run has finished to take a class picture and make sure the class returns to the building safely.
- Other volunteers, on hand to assist race day with set-up and logistics, will be spaced around the track to cheer the kids on.
Updated: October 3, 2021
Welcome to the SCES PTA website.
This site is for information that will help families stay connected within our school community. Register Now!
If you already have a Membership Toolkit account with another organization,
you can use the same log-in here. Need more information?