Have you ever wondered what it means to be a Room Parent at SCES? Do you want to get involved but are worried you won't have enough time?
Below are some tips to help you better understand what being a Room Parent for your child's class may involve and how to get started should you decide to volunteer.
What does it mean to be a Room Parent?
- Room Parents serve an important role in the classroom, though the extent of involvement will vary between classes and teachers. Before volunteering, talk to your child’s teacher about your interest and how they expect the Room Parent to help.
- Responsibilities of a Room Parent may include:
- organizing class parties and events;
- identifying and coordinating volunteers to help with Friday Folders;
- making snack calendars;
- emailing class parents about important dates or projects;
- requesting and organizing chaperones for field trips.
- Many classes may have two or three Room Parents. For those who are concerned they won’t have the capacity to do it alone, consider sharing responsibilities with another parent.
- Before volunteering, talk with the teacher about any limitations or scheduling challenges you may have. This transparency will not only help you in deciding whether to volunteer as a Room Parent, it will also help your teacher who can help work through any issues or identify other ways for you to be involved in the classroom.
How to get started as a new Room Parent:
- Ask the teacher for the parent email list.
- Email the other parents to introduce yourself and your co-Room Parent (if any). Let them know you'll be working with them to make it a fun and successful year for your children.
- Email the Room Parent Coordinator, Jennifer Meyer, to let her know which class you are representing.
- Need help? Utilize the network of Room Parents! Jennifer can:
- connect you with other Room Parents in the same grade level;
- brainstorm ideas;
- share helpful resources.
Please do not hesitate to reach out the Room Parent Coordinator at any time. She is here to provide support and answer any questions you may have.
Thank you in advance for stepping up and volunteering your time as a Room Parent. The SCES community appreciates YOU!
Jennifer Meyer, Room Parent Coordinator, 2019-2020
Welcome to the SCES PTA website.
This site is for information that will help families stay connected within our school community. Register Now!
If you already have a Membership Toolkit account with another organization,
you can use the same log-in here. Need more information?